Point to your data or business
The Burst Alias feature allows you to replace arbitrary text with pseudonyms.
Use a custom keyword to designate a person’s name, phone number, home address, web page, email address, custom data or account number with an alias. The possibilities are infinite, and are only limited by your own imagination.
A common application is an easy-to-remember alias for your Burst account number. For example, use the easy to remember “JessicaWallet” instead of the lengthy Burst RS address. Since the alias system is public, it can also be used, for example, to implement a decentralized DNS system to store domain names for IP addresses.
3 basic alias types to serve your needs
The BurstAlias System has 3 types of pointers which are generic enough to be a basis for any system that requires mapping or translating. The pointer types are:
With this type you can map any Burst address to a short Alias
This alias can be used for any type of link ( like http, https, ipfs)
You can store any type of data/text to this alias.
Transfer, Trade or Change
Aliases which are registered to your Burst address can be transferred to another Burst address, or can be offered for sale. You can also change the type of your Alias if needed. All these actions are built-in function on the Burst blockchain and are included on your BRS wallet.
Simplification of any data pointer
The Burstcoin alias system is an open-ended feature that provides a basis for any system that requires mapping or translating alphanumeric text into any string of Latin-character numbers and letters. For example, it could be used as the basis for a decentralized DNS system, an online shopping cart application, etc. It essentially allows one piece of text to be substituted for another so that keywords or passphrases can be used to represent other things – names, telephone numbers, physical addresses, web sites, account numbers, email addresses, product SKU codes, etc. A simple application would be to create easy-to-remember aliases for Burstcoin account numbers.
There are 2 main ways to use Burstcoin aliases without relying on third-party plugins for your browser:
A web server analyzes the Burstcoin blockchain and replaces “burst-links” with corresponding addresses before sending HTML documents to users.
- To create an alias, send a transaction that states “This Text = That Text”. Use the ‘Aliases’ menu and click ‘Register Alias’.
- To change an alias, send another transaction with a new definition.
Use the ‘Aliases’ menu and click ‘Edit’.
Only the account that created an alias can change it.
- Click on ‘Register Alias’ in the upper right corner.
- Select the ‘Type’: “URI”, “Account” or “Other”.
- In the ‘Alias’ field, enter the name without blank spaces.
- Depending on the selected ‘Type’, the text input field is named ‘URI’, ‘Account ID’ or ‘Data’.
The ‘Data’ field can contain any text. The maximum length is 1,000 bytes.
- After the network has processed your message your Alias is reachable.
- Click on ‘Edit’ behind the alias you want to change.
- You can modify the ‘Type’ and ‘Data’, but you can not rename the ‘Alias’.
- Click ‘Update’.
An alias can be transferred for the minimum Burstcoin fee.(0,00735 BURST)
- Click on the ‘Transfer’ button behind the alias to be transferred.
- Enter the ‘Recipient’ account id and a message (optional).
- Enter your ‘Passphrase’ and click ‘Transfer Alias’.
Aliases can be sold to specific Burstcoin accounts or to the general public.
When selling aliases, the prices can be set individually.
- Click on ‘Sell’ behind the alias to be sold.
- You can sell it to a specific user or offer it on the Burstcoin network.
- Enter the price and the corresponding data.
- Confirm and click on ‘Sell Alias’.